Aberdeen City Council, in response to Covid-19, postponed recovery of Council Tax for the first three months of 2020/21. Following a decision by the Council’s Urgent Business Committee on Tuesday 30 June 2020, recovery of unpaid Council Tax recommenced in July 2020. You can pay your Council Tax in a number of different ways. If you are having difficulties paying your Council Tax because you have been affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, there is information and advice below.
The easiest way to pay your Council Tax bill is by Direct Debit.
Your direct debit is quick and easy to set up or amend and is covered by the direct debit guarantee. To set up a direct debit you can either:
- Download and complete a Direct Debit Instruction below and send by email to email@example.com or;
- Download and complete a Direct Debit Instruction below and post it to Marischal College, Broad Street, 3rd Floor West, Business Hub 16, Aberdeen, AB10 1AB, or;
- Phone us on 03000 200 292 to set up a Direct Debit (lines are open Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm)
Please remember to have your Council Tax Reference Number and payment card details ready.
You can choose to spread your Direct Debit payments over 10 or 12 months of the financial year from April. There are a choice of dates available (5th, 15th, 20th and 28th of each month).
However, if your Direct Debit is set up part way through the year the instalments may be spread over the remaining months of the financial year.
If you are currently paying by Direct Debit over 10 months you can amend this to spread your payments over the full financial year.
Please note, if you or your bank/building society cancel your Direct Debit whilst a balance remains outstanding an adjustment notice will be issued to you.
Pay your council tax online by debit or credit card. Further help with online payments is available on our help page.
Call 03000 200 292 (lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) to use our automated service to make payments for a range of Council services. Please remember to have your Council Tax Reference Number available and payment card details ready.
You will need to provide the bank details below and use your Council Tax Reference Number as your Payment Reference Number.
Sort Code: 82-60-11
Account Number: 70009126
Account Name: Aberdeen City Council
You can pay at the following locations:
- Any Post Office - you will need the barcode from your Council Tax bill in order to make payment (Please allow 5 working days for payment to be credited to your account)
- Anywhere you see the Paypoint sign - you will need the barcode from your Council Tax bill in order to make payment (Please allow 5 working days for payment to be credited to your account). Find your nearest Paypoint.
Aberdeen City Council, in response to Covid-19, postponed recovery of Council Tax for the first three months of 2020/21. Recovery of unpaid Council Tax recommenced in July 2020.
Council Tax reminders will be issued where an instalment is not paid on or before its due date a reminder will be issued requesting that the overdue amount is paid in full within 7 days.
Where there is more than one person in the household liable to pay Council Tax, legislation requires each individual to be issued with a reminder. Payment of the whole outstanding amount is the responsibility of all liable people. This means that we will pursue each individually for the full amount.
If you fail to pay the overdue amount by its due date, the right to pay by instalments is withdrawn and the total balance outstanding for the financial year must be paid within 14 days of the issue of the reminder.
If you are struggling to make payment, we are able to agree a payment arrangement so that the Council Tax due for 2020/21 is split over the remainder of the financial year to March 2021.
If a payment plan would help, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make sure that you have claimed all of the benefits that you are entitled to. For working age families this is Universal Credit from the DWP. Find out more about Universal Credit.
You may also qualify for Council Tax Reduction, a means tested reduction if you have low income. Find out more on our Council Tax Reduction page. Furthermore, certain individuals can still qualify for Housing Benefit. Please visit our Housing Benefit page to see if you could claim.
To find out more information about the Council’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic, visit our Coronavirus page.
- Each year payment of Council Tax is required to be paid within the financial year being April to March, unless you have agreed a payment arrangement with us.
- Payments are due on or before the 1st of each month, unless you pay by Direct Debit.
- Alternatively, you can pay in full for the year in a lump sum on or before 1 April.
- Remember, if you do not pay your Council Tax as detailed on your bill you could incur additional charges.
- If you are having difficulty paying please contact us as soon as possible. Our Benefits and Money Advice service can offer advice if you are finding it difficult to keep on top of your bills.
- You must continue to pay your Council Tax whilst waiting on the outcome of a decision/review.
We are aware of new Council Tax scams during this time. We do not send out any e-mails asking customers to click on any links which asks them to provide personal details.
If you receive an unexpected e-mail from the Council Tax team, please ensure it has originated from an aberdeencity.gov.uk account.
To do this hover over the FROM display name to see what email address pops up (to hover, move your pointer, over the information that you want to verify). If using a smart phone or tablet you will have to tap on it. It is common for an attacker to spoof a display name to look like it is coming from a legitimate account. When you hover over the display name you may find that the email has been sent from someone else.
If you are in any doubt, please contact us.