Homelessness: advice and support

People become homeless for all sorts of reasons. If you are at risk of losing your home, can't stay where you are, or are worried that you will have to move out soon, we may be able to help you. We can give you advice and support around the options that may be available to you by clicking on the link below:

Aberdeen City Council Housing Advice Service

Below is a list of other help that might be useful: 

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, we want to prevent you becoming homeless. We will help you find out if there are ways for you to keep your home.

We can help you with the cost of furniture removal and storage if you cannot afford to pay for removal and storage yourself. Normally, we will arrange for the uplift and storage of your property using a private removal firm.

The council has a number of schemes which can provide help, such as the Tenancy Setup Fund and the Furniture Leasing Scheme. There are also a number of organisations that we can make contact with to help you. These include local furniture supply and recycling projects. We will support you through this difficult time and give you advice about help you can get.

Yes. Contact the Housing Advice Team immediately. We have a duty to help you if it is likely that staying in your home will lead to domestic violence being threatened or committed against you or someone living with you.

The laws about homelessness are very complicated but 'homeless' broadly means having no housing that is reasonable for you and the people who normally live with you, to carry on living in. You are 'threatened with homelessness' if you are likely to become homeless within the next 2 months, for example, if you have been taken to Court by your landlord and the Court has said you must leave your home within 2 months.

If you have housing difficulties, wherever you are living at the time, contact the Housing Advice Team.

Housing support is a service to help you maintain or set up your home and meet any duties or responsibilities you have as a householder. Housing support encourages you to live independently in your home and gets you access to the other services like a dentist or a doctor. Housing support can help you live independently, give you confidence and help you to do things for yourself.

We need to ask you a number of questions to understand how we can help you. You may be asked about your previous address(es), why you can't live there any more, how you came to be homeless, your family circumstances, whether you have any medical conditions, and so on. You may also be asked to provide financial information if, for example, you have lost housing as a result of mortgage or rent arrears.

Assuming you are being evicted due to non-payment of rent, you should contact your local Housing Office immediately and they will give you advice. You will normally have to pay at least half your outstanding rent to avoid being evicted. You should also contact the Housing Access Service who will give you advice about finding alternative accommodation.

For housing advice, housing applications and exchanges

Contact us
Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.