Your data: animal health and welfare licences

How we use your information

When you apply for an Animal Health and Welfare Licence (Animal Boarding Establishment; Animal Dealer; Breeding of Dogs; Dangerous Wild Animals; Performing Animals; Pet Shop; Riding Establishment; Zoo), Aberdeen City Council keeps a record of the information you provide. The information you provide may be used in relation to other statutory functions of the Protective Services (Environmental Health and Trading Standards) and may be shared with other Council Services including Business Rates, Building Control, and Planning.

How long we keep your information for

We will keep your information for as long as you continue to hold a relevant licence. If you cease to hold a licence, we will keep your information for seven years from the expiry date.

Your rights

You’ve got legal rights about the way the Council handles and uses your data, which include the right to ask for a copy of it, and to ask us to stop doing something with your data. Please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer by email on or write to:

Data Protection Officer
Marischal College
AB10 1AB

See more information about all of the rights you have. You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They are the body responsible for making sure organisations like the Council handle your data lawfully.

Our legal basis

Aberdeen City Council is the Data Controller for the information you provide. Wherever we process personal information we have to make sure we have a basis for doing so in Data Protection Law. We understand our basis as 6(1)(c) and 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulation. This is because we undertake this activity as part of our statutory role under the: Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963; Licensing of Animal Dealers (Young Cats and Young Dogs) (Scotland) Regulations 2009; Breeding of Dogs Act 1973; Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976; Performing Animals (Registration) Act 1925; Pet Animals Act 1951; Riding Establishments Act 1964 & 1970 and Zoo Licensing Act 1981

In delivering this service, the Council is also likely to process special categories of personal data. The Council understands our legal basis for doing so as Article 9(2)(i) of the General Data Protection Regulation, because processing is necessary for reasons of public interest in the area of public health.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.