Your data: children's social work - continuing and aftercare

Why we need your information and what we will do with it

The Youth Team will use your information to assess your needs and prepare a plan for the range of continuing care and aftercare support services suitable for your needs. The services that the Youth Team provide will include:

  • Educational support
  • Mentoring service
  • Early intervention support
  • Restorative justice service
  • Transition support

We work with other agencies in planning and delivering these supports. We also use your information to verify your identity, where required, contact you by post, email or telephone, maintain our records, manage any funding of services and to demonstrate to our own auditors and external regulators that we are providing proper services in accordance with the law.

We receive information from partners which is added to our records. In some cases, information will be added to our records using automated processing, to speed up the time it takes to deal with simple processes. Decisions about you are not made using automated decision-making.

As we work with you, we’ll create other records about you as part of the continuing care and aftercare process which will also be part of your case file.

When you share your views with us about your circumstances, care and support we normally record this in your social work case file. This includes when you use different tools for communicating your views to us, including digital apps and programmes.

In addition, we may share information with some other agencies depending on your individual circumstances. These may include your housing provider, particularly if aspects of your support relate to housing adaptations or other housing-related issues, the Department of Work and Pensions in terms of benefits you may receive, Police Scotland and Scottish Fire and Rescue Service. We may share information with any provider of care and support to you, including foster and kinship carers and those being paid to provide services to you. We may share information with The Care Inspectorate if concerns are raised with them about certain services provided to you. We will also share information with other services in the council, or other local authorities, where we are working with them to support and provide services to you. Where your case is transferred to another local authority area, we will also share with them relevant information about you.

We may also have to share your information with The Scottish Children's Reporters Administration, the Scottish Courts and Children's Panels and where necessary other local authorities. We are also legally obliged to share certain data with regulatory and law enforcement bodies, where this is necessary and appropriate. For example, this may include sharing data with Disclosure Scotland, Police Scotland who may be investigating a crime, or The Care Inspectorate who are responsible for regulating our work and helping us improve our services to you. Your information is also analysed internally to help us improve our services and outcomes for service users. We also work with partners on specific, targeted projects and initiatives to help us improve the social work services we provide, and the outcomes for our service users. This normally involves project partners analysing personal data on our behalf. We control the way that partners use and manage personal data throughout through our agreements and arrangements with them.

The Council is obliged to participate in the National Fraud Initiative in Scotland and in terms of this passes information to Audit Scotland for data matching to detect fraud or possible fraud. You can find details of this exercise on Audit Scotland’s website

Additionally, it may sometimes be the case that, during the process of supporting you, you and your Social Worker may decide that it would be beneficial to refer or support you to access another agency or organisation for further help or support. To do this on your behalf will normally mean the Social Worker sharing some information about you with that service or organisation. If this is the case, this type of information sharing will always be discussed between you (or your parent or carer) and your Social Worker, on a case by case basis, and will normally be done with your agreement.

How long we keep your information for

The Council has a records retention and disposal schedule which sets out how long we hold different types of information for, these are set out below.

Please be aware that, for now, where we have information which relates to children who have been in residential care or who have been otherwise looked after by Aberdeen City Council (or any of our predecessor bodies) between 1930 and the present, we are currently not destroying any of our records. This is because the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry, which is looking at the abuse of children in care in Scotland, may need to use this information as part of their work. This will be the case for the duration of the inquiry and until further notification from the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry.

Usual retention of information for looked after children
Process Retention period
Child has been looked after by local authority, this includes those looked after at home, in a residential home, or through a kinship/foster carer placement. 100 years from the date that you are 18 years old.

Your rights

You have rights to your data, including the right to ask for a copy of it. See more information on all the rights you have, and how they work in practice. If you would like to access your social work records, you can ask your current social worker, or you can make a request.

As a general rule, once you are 12 years old, you are considered capable of exercising your own data protection rights, which includes the right of access to your social work records. This is why, once you are over 12 years of age, if your parents or carers would like to access your social care records then we will only normally provide this access with your agreement.

If you don’t currently have social work support from Aberdeen City Council, but have done in the past, we can provide support to you when you access your social work records.

You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office, you can contact them through their website or phone 01625 545745. They are the body responsible for making sure organisations like the Council handle your data lawfully.

If you have a query about how we have handled your personal information, you can contact the Council's Data Protection Officer on or write to:
Data Protection Officer
Aberdeen City Council
Level 1 South
Marischal College
Broad Street
AB10 1AB

If your complaint is not about a data protection matter, see how to make a complaint about Social Work Services.

Our legal basis

Wherever the Council processes personal data, we need to make sure we have a legal basis for doing so in data protection law. The Council understands our legal basis for processing personal data as Article 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulation. The Youth Team provides services as part of Aberdeen City Council’s public task to provide advice and assistance under the Children (Scotland) Act 1995. This legislation covers the processing and sharing of your information.

In delivering this service, the Council is also likely to process special categories of personal data. The Council understands our legal basis for doing so as Article 9(2)(h) of the General Data Protection Regulation, because processing is necessary for the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services. This will sometimes involve passing information about you to providers who we commission care and support services from to meet your needs. We make sure that they process your data appropriately through our contractual arrangements with them.

The Council has a legal obligation under Part 2A of the Public Finance and Accountability (Scotland) Act 2000, to provide Audit Scotland with data to carry out data matching exercises for the purpose of assisting in the prevention and detection of fraud.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.