Your data: Educational Psychology Service – notice for parents and carers 

Why are we asking for your information? 

Aberdeen City Council collects the information about you and your child or young person in order to provide you with an Educational Psychology Service. The Council is legally required to provide this service under the Education (Scotland) Act 1980.  It is your choice to access the Educational Psychology Service with the exception of matters of Child Protection or requests from the Scottish Children’s Reporter’s Administration.

In some cases, the Council will add information to our records using automated processing, to speed up the time it takes to deal with simple processes. Decisions about children and young people accessing and using the Educational Psychology Service are not made by automated decision-making.

The Aberdeen City Council Educational Psychology Service may be asked to share your or your child’s information.  We may be asked to share this information with other Council services, including Education and Social Work.  We will only share information with other Council services where this is necessary to allow us to provide an Educational Psychology Service.

We may also be asked to share information with outside bodies.  These bodies are the 
Scottish Children’s Reporter’s Administration and NHS Grampian.  We will only share information with an outside body if you currently are involved or if you become involved with these services.  

If asked to share data, Educational Psychologists will use their professional judgement to identify which information is appropriate and necessary to share with the other professionals involved, in order to inform decision-making and assessment.

How long we keep your information?

We will keep your information for a period of 5 years from the maximum school leaving age of 18 years old, because this is what is required of us under The Pupils’ Educational Records (Scotland) Regulations 2003. If any other laws tell us that we have a legal responsibility to keep your information for longer we will do so. We will keep anonymised data beyond this period for the purposes of auditing service provision and quality assurance.

Your rights

You’ve got legal rights about the way the Council handles and uses your data, which include the right to ask for a copy of it, and to ask us to stop doing something with your data.

See more information about all of the rights you have and details of how to contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer. 

You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They are the body responsible for making sure organisations like the Council handle your data lawfully.

Our legal basis

Aberdeen City Council is the Data Controller for this information about you and your child or young person. Wherever the Council processes personal data, we need to make sure we have a legal basis for doing so in data protection law. The Council understands our legal basis for processing personal data. This is because the Council, as an Education Authority, is legally required to provide an Educational Psychology Service under the Education (Scotland) Act 1980 as amended. In carrying out this function, the Council is also likely to process special categories of personal data. The Council understands our legal basis for doing so because processing is necessary for the treatment or management of health or social care systems and services. 

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.