Your data: integrated learning disability care service

This service includes the Len Ironside Centre

How we use your information

If you are referred to us

We receive referrals from the Learning Disability Care Management team for people who may need care and support from us.

As we receive your referral from someone else we will always let you know that you have been referred. The person who referred you will have told you or your guardian /representative about the referral.

We will also contact the person who has referred you. This is so they know we have received the referral. We may also want to find out a bit more about you and the reason for the referral. This means we will often get in touch with you and with other professionals who have been involved in your care. This will help us determine if we can meet your needs in a person-centred way to ensure positive outcomes for you.

Our team will look at the referral in accordance with the health and social care standards and the information we have and decide what happens next. If we feel our staff have the right skills, knowledge and abilities, we will be in touch with you or your guardian/representative to arrange a visit so we can discuss your support needs in more detail.

If you are assessed by us

The care manager will have already carried out a needs assessment which they will share with us. However, we will also want to come and spend time with you to ensure that we can meet all your care and support needs to enable you to achieve your outcomes. We will ask you or your guardian/representative for information about your circumstances so we understand what your care and support needs are. As part of the process we may speak to other organisations who are involved in your care and support. This information will help us develop the support plans and risk assessments which will help keep you safe and well.

The information we collect during the assessment process and any further documents such as personal support plans, risk assessments, person centred plans or other tools we need to use to support you are recorded on our Social Care Case Recording system. You/and or your guardian/representative will always be offered a copy of your personal support plan.

After you have been assessed

After you have been assessed and if appropriate, visits to the service should be arranged for you and/or your guardian/representative to meet others who live there and to meet with staff. During service visits, a key worker will be identified who will help to support your transition to the service and ensure information is written down and shared with staff, so they can learn how to support you when you move in.

Reviewing your personal support plan

We will need to have your personal support plan completed with all your information within four weeks of you moving in. This is a legal requirement. We will review your personal support plan with you and/or your guardian/representative at six weeks. From this point we will review your plan with you or your guardian/representative every six months. We’ll also review your Care Plan with you and/or appropriate others if your care needs significantly change at any time or if a review is agreed as being otherwise necessary. We will keep records about you and the care and support you receive in your social case file throughout the time we support you.

Joint working and sharing

The Public Sector (Joint Working) (Scotland) Act requires health and social care teams from NHS Grampian and Aberdeen City Council to work in an integrated manner to ensure services are delivered in a person-centred way.

This service is part of the Aberdeen Health & Social Care Partnership.

While each partner retains separate records for you, we will work together to support you, and this will involve sharing the required relevant information about you.

As part of our integrated working arrangements the Council also shares limited relevant information with the Scottish Government and NHS for the purposes of planning, delivering and monitoring services, and to inform the strategic design of integrated services.

We are regulated by the Care Inspectorate. They visit services to ensure our work is of the required standard, and they can ask to see the records we keep about you as part of this inspection process.

Sometimes, during the process of supporting you, your Care Manager/Care Co Ordinator may decide that it would be beneficial to refer or support you to access other Council services (for example, Housing) or outside organisations for further help or support. To do this on your behalf it will be necessary to share relevant and appropriate information about you with that service/organisation.

We will treat your information confidentially, however, there may be times when information about you may be shared with other professional agencies particularly to prevent risk of harm to yourself or others.

We receive information from partners which is added to our records. In some cases, information will be added to our records using automated processing, to speed up the time it takes to deal with simple processes. Decisions about you are not made using automated decision-making.

How long we keep your information for

We will keep your information for five years, plus the current year, from the date that you no longer want to receive a care service from us. Any information we have about you will be destroyed five years from our last contact with you.

Your rights

You have rights to your data, including the right to ask for a copy of it. See more information on all the rights you have, and how they work in practice.

You can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer by email or write to:

Legal and Democratic Services
Business Hub 6
Level 1 South
Marischal College
AB10 1AB

You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. They are the body responsible for making sure organisations like the Council handle your data lawfully.

Our legal basis

Aberdeen City Council is the Data Controller for your information. Aberdeen City Council has a statutory duty under the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968 to carry out needs assessments for people we think may need care services, and we have a general duty to promote social welfare by providing advice, guidance, and assistance. We also have a duty under the Adult Support & Protection (Scotland) Act 2007 to make enquiries where we think an adult may be at risk. As part of integrated working arrangements, the Council shares information with the NHS and the Scottish Government because we have a duty to provide integrated services under the Public Services (Joint Working) (Scotland) Act 2014. These activities are part of the Council’s public task, so we understand our legal basis for processing your information as Article 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulation.

Where we are required to process information by law, for example, by providing information to the Care Inspectorate, we understand our legal basis as Article 6(1)(c) the General Data Protection Regulation.

In all the above cases, the Council is also likely to process special categories of personal data. The Council understands our legal basis for doing so as Article 9(2)(h) of the General Data Protection Regulation, because processing is necessary for the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Status message

Please note, this form is anonymous, we can't reply directly to your feedback. If you would like to report an issue, make a complaint or suggestion, please Contact Us.